Home > Auto Accidents > . . .

Q: Will my automobile insurance company pay for my medical bills if I am injured in an accident that was caused by someone else?

A: If your policy offers first party coverage, which includes your insurance company promising to pay for your medical bills and automobile repairs, then you will need to contact them immediately following an accident in order to file a claim and get a claim number. When you receive medical treatment, the bills will be forwarded directly to your insurance company’s claims department for payment. If the facility that provides treatment does not forward the bills, then you will have to make sure they are sent in for payment. In exchange for your insurance company paying your medical bills and other expenses relating to the accident that was caused by someone else, you must agree to reimburse them out of your award for damages against the individual who caused the accident.

In a situation similar to the one mentioned above, an attorney is generally hired to handle the division of payments from any settlement or judgement. 





DISCLAIMER: This website provides only general information intended to be a starting point for most legal issues. This information is not legal advice, nor is it intended to create any binding advisory relationship. Do not take action based upon this information unless you consult with an attorney or other specialist.