Home > Auto Accidents > . . .

Q: What type of compensation might I need as the result of an auto accident?

A: Every day, individuals are injured and property is damaged as a result of auto accidents. If the situation was minor, it may be possible to notify your insurance company, file any necessary reports with the DMV and/or local police, pay for repairs and continue on with everyday life. However, for auto accidents that are more severe, expenses can add up quickly and the victim may be entitled to a fair amount of compensation. 

Personal injury victims will likely require medical care, physical therapy or other rehabilitation. The individual(s) at fault will be responsible for paying any medical bills that the victim incurs as a result of the accident. In addition, individuals who are unable to return to work as a result of an injury will be eligible for a claim for lost wages. If property was damaged, including your vehicle, the repairs will need to be made. While those repairs are being handled, a rental car may be needed and can be quite costly depending on the length of time it will take to fully repair the damage to your automobile. This too will be covered by the individual(s) determined to be at fault. And finally, when the pain inflicted as the result of an accident interferes with everyday activities, a claim for pain and suffering is often sought.

In each of the aforementioned situations, the law will allow you to recover damages. In some cases, punitive damages may also be granted if the accident was a result of extreme negligence and the court wishes to impose this award to deter irresponsible behavior from being repeated.





DISCLAIMER: This website provides only general information intended to be a starting point for most legal issues. This information is not legal advice, nor is it intended to create any binding advisory relationship. Do not take action based upon this information unless you consult with an attorney or other specialist.